The whole universe is excited ahead of the most idolized sporting activity on earth. It is the World Cup. Kicking off in two weeks time as 32 teams battle for the golden trophy.
But, did you know that the World Cup tournament has with it some of the most scintillating and mind-boggling facts?
Here, we list down the interesting facts about the tournament and what exactly to look out for.
- There will be 64 games which will be played in 12 stadia in 11 cities across Russia.
- The first World Cup football was played in Uruguay in 1930.
- Brazil took the World Cup trophy for good in 1970 after winning it three times consecutively.
- The weight of the FIFA World Cup trophy is 6 kg
- Half of the Kenyans planning to watch the football games will do so from their homes.
- The five teams that qualified from Africa were given and amount equivalent to Ksh203million to use in preparation for the World Cup. The five teams include; Nigeria, Senegal, Morocco, Tunisia, And Egypt.
- African teams have reached the quarterfinals of the World Cup only three times. The teams who have managed to reach the quarter-finals are Cameroon, Ghana and Senegal.
- Brazil has got five World Cup trophies, and it has won the cup three times away from home.
- Pele is the youngest ever football player at the age of 17 years to have won the World Cup in 1978.
- The total number of goals scored in the World Cup is 2379.
- The top scorer of the World Cup is Miroslav Klose of Germany with 16 goals.
Article sourced from Odds Today- www.oddstoday.co.ke (Isaac Ombati)