- The Cricket Kenya (CK) team players have lost trust in their employer in what they think they have a hidden agenda to keep some players out in the upcoming 2020 Africa finals on March 22-27.
The players snubbed a meeting called by CK yesterday with only 6 players turning up. With 3 weeks ahead of the eight-team event tournament, they are yet to hit the camp.
This comes as a concern of last year’s poor result which led to the team finishing second-last in the world cricket Challenge. CK has shelved the team’s training to restructure the squad. This has raised concern on senior players with the fear that they may have a hidden agenda of locking some of them out of that tournament. It is probably true because CK is surely keen on setting up an emerging squad to act as a feeder to the national team.
“After our performance in Oman, we decided to start from the bottom by constructing emerging that will feed the national team and offers competition to senior players,” CK development manager Tom said. Ck was accused of not being insincere with their plans and preps for the tournament. They said CK is starting the franchised event to lock some players out. The meeting was meant to strategize on their preps for the upcoming finals something the players think it was a cover story to locking them out.
“The idea is good but the timing raised eyebrows. Why come with such an exercise a week to the tournament. We have been idle for close to three months and here we are being asked to attend a two-day selection session,” anonymity source said.
Kalpesh Solanki, tasked to set up the franchise event said, “The players’ boycott is ill-timed. The ball was in the selectors’ court and they should have tried and look for the best way that will represent the country in the event.